Yields 8 servings
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
8 bagels evenly split, English muffins or prepared pizza rounds
1 garlic clove, peeled and split lengthwise
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, finely grated 1 cup organic pizza or marinara sauce
One protein, such as lean ground beef or soy crumbles (browned and drained); sliced vegetarian pepperoni; turkey or vegetarian bacon (fried, drained and broken into pieces); or peeled and deveined shrimp, cut into bite-sized pieces.
Red, yellow or green bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes, sliced or diced black or green olives, drained pineapple bits, garlic cloves, drained and roasted
1 to 11⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella or vegan mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly oil two cookie sheets and set aside. Open and arrange bagels or muffins on the sheets. If using prepared pizza rounds, place on sheets whole.
2. Rub each piece of bread lightly with cut garlic. Brush each round with olive oil.
3. Bake for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to stove top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
4. Return to oven for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove, spread with sauce.
5. Raise the oven heat to 375° F. Begin with the proteins, then layer the veg- etables and special ingredients and top with a layer of cheese.
6. Return the rounds to the hot oven and bake until the cheese melts. Cool slightly and serve.