We all know that too much moisture can be a breeding ground for mold. Did you know that mold can cause a big problem in your home that could lead to potential health risks? The good news is that this can be controlled!
Mold can sneak its way into your walls, carpets, tiles and even your foods if you have any of the following issues in your home:
- High levels of humidity from humidifiers, improper venting of your clothes dryer, or if you steam-cook a lot of food
- Backed-up sewers
- Leaks in the roof
- Dampness in basements and crawl spaces beneath your house
- Pooling water from leaky plumbing or an overflowing bathtub or toilet
There are thousands of types of mold, but all types can cause a number of respiratory problems. Some people that are sensitive to mold will get a reaction; those that are allergic will have a more noticeable response. Some types of mold are more dangerous than others and may cause more severe health problems; those that contain a chemical called mycotoxin can be harmful if inhaled.
If you notice any of the following symptoms, you should consider testing your home for the presence of mold.
- Nasal problems like congestion, runny nose and sneezing
- Difficult, wheezy breathing
- Frequent cough
- Worsening allergy symptoms
- Rash on the skin
- Red, irritated eyes
- Asthma attacks
To stop health problems caused by mold, you need to get rid of the mold and the source of the moisture. Contact a healthEhabitats environmental expert. They are available to provide you with the information you need to make the best choices for you and your family. For more information, call 1-877-861-3662.